Greetings aquatic invasive species allies and friends! This is a very exciting edition of our Alberta AIS news – Bill 13 amending the Fisheries (Alberta) Act passed Royal Assent just yesterday! This sets us on the path for a much more comprehensive and preventive program. The amendment provides for mandatory watercraft inspections, enhanced authority for mitigating the risk of AIS and the addition of a prohibited species list (containing 52 species of aquatic invasive plants, invertebrates and fish)! J – Kate
Sniffer dogs lend a nose to mandatory boat inspections
March 20, 2015
Alberta’s fight against zebra and quagga mussels will have a few more paws on the ground thanks to the addition of a full-time crew of canine inspectors.
As Alberta introduces mandatory boat inspections, inspectors will be happy to have the help of sniffer dogs to speed up the inspection process.
“Aquatic Invasive Species are one the largest threats facing Alberta’s waterways and biodiversity. The inclusion of mandatory boat inspections and sniffer dogs to our Aquatic Invasive Species program are essential tools in our arsenal against a zebra and quagga mussel infestation.”
Kyle Fawcett, Minister of Environment and Sustainable Resource Development
Once Bill 13, the Fisheries (Alberta) Amendment Act, is proclaimed into law, watercraft inspections will become mandatory and inspection stations will be located at commercial vehicle weigh stations throughout the province, as well as main points of entry.
Following a successful pilot last summer, Working Dogs for Conservation will provide Wicket, Lily and Orbee to carry out inspections, while Alberta works to train its own permanent team of canines. The dogs will be focusing on Albertans returning home from the mussel-infested southern United States.
“We must all work together to ensure we protect our vital water environment and our economy in southern Alberta. Our partnership with the Government to fund these dogs and their handlers, together with mandatory boat inspections, will protect the more than 4,000 kilometres of irrigation pipelines in southern Alberta.”
Ron McMullin, Executive Director, Alberta Irrigation Projects Association
Zebra and quagga mussels can spread quickly and live out of water for up to 30 days. Once introduced to a waterbody, they are virtually impossible to eradicate. The province estimates that an infestation of invasive mussels in Alberta could cost the province more than $75 million annually – including damage to infrastructure and recreational opportunities.
For Aquatic Invasive Species inquiries and reports please call:
- Bill 13: Fisheries (Alberta) Amendment Act
- Map: Commercial Vehicle Enforcement weigh stations (pdf)
- Aquatic Invasive Species information
- Working Dogs for Conservation
- We let the dogs out!
- Silent Invaders: Zebra and Quagga Mussels
- Learn how to clean, drain and dry your watercraft
- The Alberta AIS Program made the cut for the three finalists in the government institution category for an Emerald Award! http://emeraldfoundation.ca/emerald-awards/2015-awards/
Articles associated with Fisheries (Alberta) Act amendment and addition of sniffer dogs to program
- Calgary Herald March 10th: http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/province-reveals-next-step-in-combatting-invasive-mussels
- Calgary Herald: http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/dogs-will-help-sniff-out-mussels-in-new-boat-inspections
- Alberta Water Portal: http://albertawater.com/water-news/126-water-news-2015/2627-alberta-introduces-mandatory-boat-inspection-legislation
- Producer: http://www.producer.com/daily/mandatory-boat-inspections-in-alta-aimed-at-invasive-mussels/
- Global News: http://globalnews.ca/news/1877418/alberta-introduces-bill-that-would-require-boats-to-be-checked-for-zebra-mussels/
- Winnipeg Free Press: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/life/greenpage/alberta-introduces-bill-that-would-require-boats-to-be-checked-for-zebra-mussels-295979221.html
- Share Edmonton: http://www.shareedmonton.ca/news/releases/sources/government-of-alberta/releases
- Global Winnipeg: http://www.scoopnest.com/user/globalwinnipeg/575787088924180481
- Calgary Herald: http://www.pressreader.com/canada/calgary-herald/20150321/281719793072604/TextView
- Global: http://globalnews.ca/news/1877418/alberta-introduces-bill-that-would-require-boats-to-be-checked-for-zebra-mussels/
- Calgary In News: http://calgaryinnews.com/alberta-introduces-mandatory-boat-inspection-legislation/
- 1 Radio: http://www.cjocfm.com/news-and-info/news/lethbridge-news/sniffer-dogs-to-aid-in-provincial-boat-inspections/ – Minister interview
- Country 95: http://www.country95.fm/News.asp?ID=9700
- 981 The Bridge: http://www.981thebridge.ca/news/lethbridge-news/sniffer-dogs-to-aid-in-provincial-boat-inspections/
- Water Supply Association of BC: http://www.wsabc.ca/archives/3500
- News Talk 770: http://www.newstalk770.com/2015/03/11/alberta-to-make-boat-inspections-for-mussels-mandatory/
- Q99live: http://www.q99live.com/news/?news_action=view&news_id=4938&ret=%3Fnews_action%3Dlist
- Idaho: Dept. of Agriculture has inspected over 800 boats since they opened a handful of stations in February! Of these, 6 have been fouled with mussels! http://www.agri.idaho.gov/Categories/Environment/InvasiveSpeciesCouncil/indexInvSpCouncil.php
- Montana: Two AIS Bills are being considered in Montana. HB 525 (LC 2257) A bill for an Act revising aquatic invasive species funding laws; creating a trust fund and grant account, etc. and HB 553 (LC2292) an Act revising laws related to aquatic invasive species, revising departmental duties, allowing other entities to operate check stations, and providing enforcement.
- Idaho canal company take action: http://news.hjnews.com/allaccess/canal-companies-hope-to-keep-quagga-mussels-our-of-waters/article_63518c5e-caaa-11e4-ae07-679b25d86188.html
- Mussel threat moves closer (UT): http://casperjournal.com/news/quick_news/article_cffe7e01-7df0-5cc4-9515-9be1620c3136.html
- Mercury Marine contributes to AIS education! http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/2015/02/mercury-marine-contributes-invasive-species-education/
- EPA provides $2.5 million Grant for aquatic invasive plant control: http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/03/michigan_gets_25m_in_grants_to.html
- Eat the carp! http://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/food/2015/03/17/asian-carp-leaping-table/24906859/